Our review of great artists of the second half of the 20th century continues with another noteworthy Italian name: Luigi Cosentino, better known as Gino Cosentino.
A sculptor and painter of outstanding talent, he was born in Catania in 1916 and died in Milan in 2005, where he had moved since 1970.
After an initial period in which he devoted himself to working with ceramics, his career took off with the creation of large sculptures and monuments; he often collaborated with famous architects of the period, making decorations for buildings, facades, and fences, in stone or concrete.
In those early years in Milan, he founded his own studio on Watt Street, which was to become the privileged place for his artistic activity.
That simple work space will gradually be reshaped and populated by his countless works of art, from sculptures to canvases, terracottas to glassware, ceramics to gold objects.
A space reorganized by the artist himself as a working workshop and at the same time a small museum that contained and guarded the precious creations that were made over the years.
Cosentino’s art revolves mainly around the concept of “Harmony.”
Through increasingly refined techniques, the artist seeks to create allusive forms that perpetually express the idea of Harmony and are themselves harmonious.
Sculpture in particular represents a form of possession of space through harmony, the balance between opposing or neighboring solids and voids, “facing each other,” to use the artist’s own words.
This balance, this harmony is fully captured in the sculptures we propose, among Cosentino’s rarest because of the material chosen: burnished brass.